WRF Model Update
The WRF model tar file has been updated to Version
3.6.1 on August 14, 2014. For known problems in V3.6.1, please click here.
The WRF Pre-Processing System (WPS) has been updated to Version 3.6.1.
Note: V3.6 and V3.6.1 WRF can use wrfinput and wrfbdy files from V3.5 version. However if lake physics is activated, it is recommended to rerun V3.6 WPS to obtain lake depth data.
As always, be cautious when using new options.
If you are interested in seeing
how V3.6 has been tested, click here.
Improvements and Bug fixes:
- Use equation of time for old Goddard shortwave - also corrects diffuse/direct diagnostics
- Bug fix in FLG scheme
- Bug fix for interpolating shortwave radiation at non-radiation steps: GSW (posted on 5/9/2014)
- RRTMG shortwave radiation: extinction coefficient updated from RRTM group
- Fix for cu_rad_feedback option (posted 5/7/14), and use of restart with this option.
- Bug fix for Milbrandt scheme (no surface rain output in v3.6)
- Bug fix for SBM (posted 5/7/2014) and minor update for fast SBM scheme
- Hail control for Morrison scheme is namelist controlled: hail_opt
- Constant n_ccn0 is now an namelist variable: ccn_conc (used in WDM5 and WDM6)
- New lightning scheme (lightning_option = 3) (Thanks to B. Lynn)
- NSAS deep: the default value for the v3.6-introduced option nsas_dx_factor is set to 0 (off) in Registry.EM_COMMON.
Surface and surface layer physics:
- Bug fix in lake physics for nesting
- Bug fix for fractional seaice for surface layer option 1: old surface layer code was used in v3.6 (posted on 6/2/2014)
- Bug fix in simple ocean mixed layer scheme.
- PX LSM should be able to use MODIS+Lake data.
- Dissipative heating is removed with ISFTCFLX.
- Bug fix for SKEBS
- Option to use GFS tropopause and max wind level data.
- Option to define stratospheric base state (namelists base_pres_strat, base_lapse_strat)
- Bug fix for climate extreme statistics for nested run
- Better error message for ndown.
- Option to write out output-ready flag (wrfoutReady_d<domain>_<date>) activated by namelist option output_ready_flag in &time_control)
- Microphysics-dependent reflectivity computation is only output if do_radar_ref is set to 1 (for those schemes that makes use this option)
- Bug fix for a potential overflow problem for vegfra, shdmax, shdmin for program real
- Improved wrfbdy read speed at restart (Thanks to Dominikus Heinzeller)
- Bug fix for periodic boundary condition in Y for geopotential
- AFWA diagnostics update and cleanup.
- Fixed restart issue with Kain-Fritsch and Grell-type cumulus schemes when used with cu_rad_feedback option. The error was introduced in Version 3.6.
- Improved diffusion with diff_opt = 2 and km_opt = 4 for more stability when diffusion is computed on horizontal surfaces
- fix tke_km routine computation of N stability parameter for km_opt=2
- Fix for using netCDF4 on NCAR's yellowstone system (configure.nc4 removed)
- Few more fixes for adapting to new CPP
- Remove few more use of flush
- #ifdef WRF_CHEM changed to #if ( WRF_CHEM == 1 ) to avoid confusion with environment setting of WRF_CHEM = 0